Durags and Bonnets, Scarves and Wave Caps: For campus or not for campus?

Jada Dill, Staff Writer

As we all know, bonnets, durags, scarves, wave caps, and such have been around for many years. Folks took a great leap forward in the 1970s when many discovered that wearing a scarf or rag could help preserve and enhance their hair or the style of their hair. Not to mention, durags were also a staple of hip-hop style in the 1990s and early 2000s.

To many, having a scarf or a rag to keep your hairstyle in place and frizz-free is essentially meant to be worn at home. But the accessory has since inched its way into the high-fashion stratosphere. Today bonnets, durags, scarves, and other hair-protecting cloths, now have begun to be a major piece of a wardrobe. 

Even the styles of how scarves and rags are being worn has changed. Moreover, the colors and patterns have even become more intricate. There are now durags and bonnets offered in every single size, color, pattern, brand and label. I mean, did you know Gucci made bonnets and durags?

With scarves and durags on the come-up in the fashion world, the question still lingers in the air, “Are they meant for outside your home? Better yet, should they be worn on a college campus?”

No, they are not. 

When you step foot on campus, whether you’re checking out the yard or handling business and working towards greatness, the trend to wear such objects on your head is deemed inappropriate in a professional setting.

How can you look and feel your best with bedtime attire on?

I was chatting with a few faculty and staff members, one being Timothy Queen, head coach of the Kentucky State cheerleading team. We were all discussing this durag and bonnet epidemic, and Queen said, “When I see a student on campus with a bonnet, durag, scarf, or something towards that nature, I instantly get the feeling of unprofessionalism. It gives off a look that you didn’t even comb [or] brush your hair this morning.” 

As I was sitting out on the yard observing early one Friday, I noticed over a two-hour span, three scarves, one bonnet, and seven durags all enter or exit the student center. And, to be completely honest, each person looked as if they were over it, didn’t-want-to-be-here type of look. 

It’s obvious to us that we all are in college taking further educational steps to preparing us for a real career, in which almost none allows their employees or workers to wear durags or scarves. 

So, why aren’t we practicing how we play? It has been a proven fact that when you dress good, you feel good, and when you feel good, you do good. 

This is why durags and scarves shouldn’t be worn on campus. We can never be who we are truly destined to be with durags and scarves on our head. Durags, scarves, and bonnets only prepare us for a good night’s rest, not to ace a test. 

So, stand with me against durags and other bed-wear attire being worn on campus. Greatness starts with you.