Under new head coach, football team has different culture

Jackson focuses on students on and off the field

KSU Sports Information

KSU head football coach Charlie Jackson

Jay Cooper, Staff Writer

It’s no secret that KSU hasn’t always had the best record in football, but this year, that’s starting to change.

From changes with staff, equipment, involvement and more, the Thorobreds are having a better season than the previous one, both on and off the field.

For one KSU has a new head coach, Charlie Jackson.

Jackson, a former coach for the National Football League’s Atlanta Falcons, made it very clear that despite the team’s past, he chose KSU to build a foundation from the ground up, and he will settle for nothing but the best.

With his past experiences with positions ranging from the NCAA, the NFL, mentoring, military service and more, he said he is fully prepared to take this program to where it needs to be. There were a few things the team needed, like a solid coaching staff and proper equipment that Jackson handled immediately, but he also wants to uplift the guys off the field as well.

Jackson said one of the challenges he faces, coming from the NFL, is managing players with more than just football on their plates. Unlike the NFL, KSU’s players are students first, so he’s out to help them with more than just their skills on the field, but with their qualities as people, and as full-time students, while keeping them at 100 percent on the field.

Players said one of the things they think separates Jackson from other coaches is the way he cares about their well-being and the team’s public image. He’s had them involved in things like visiting local schools, veterans’ hospitals and more.

The players say the football program is better under Jackson, as they can feel the difference he’s making.

They say with him, “Losing is unacceptable,” and he has a winning mentality. He pushes players to their full potential.

Players also say he’s a lot more organized and motivated than any other coach around, and he also keeps them disciplined and holds them accountable for their actions on and off the field.