News Briefs

SUMMER JOBS AND INTERNSHIP FAIR AT KENTUCKY STATE UNIVERSITY

Kentucky State University Career and Professional Development Center is hosting an internship and summer jobs fair in the Carl M. Hill Student Center Ballroom from 11 a.m. till 2 p.m. on Feb. 13.

Kentucky State Students are to be dressed in business casual and students are advised to bring and share their resumes with some employers. If a student needs help to build their resume, they can go to the Julian M. Carroll Academic Services Building in room 333, the Career Center.

Kentucky State students can pre-register at kysu.joinhandshake.com by activating their handshake account and competing their profile. Once the profile is complete, click the 2020 summer jobs and internship fair link on the homepage.

A photo headshot and Kentucky State ID is required.

PAOLA FLORES REACHES NEW RANK

Paola Flores, A Kentucky State University student has risen to the second highest rank position in Army ROTC Wildcat Battalion. Including that this achievement consists of seven universities and colleges. Those college and universities are: Asbury University, Centre College, University of Kentucky, Midway University, Georgetown College, Kentucky State and Transylvania University.

“I was among the top-5 cadets in our battalion,” Flores said. This is the first time a Kentucky State student was selected for this position.

“I believe this is the first time a student from Kentucky State was selected for this position. I’m basically the second-in-command, serving as the right hand for our battalion commander. I’m also in charge of our staff.”

Paola Flores is a biology major and said her work at Kentucky State isn’t finished yet. Some of her goals for the spring 2020 semester is obtaining a 4.00 GPA, helping the MS3 (junior class) prepare for summer training and helping increase the ROTC program by recruiting more people.

KENTUCKY STATE ALUMNUS RECIEVES AWARD

Jacob Kelly, an alumnus of Kentucky State University earned a third place award during the Kentucky Intercollegiate Association banquet in Lexington, for the best sports picture essay.

Jacob Kelly was awarded the award for detailing a day in the life of Dominick “Dom” Lawson. A baseball player at Kentucky State University.

The photo essay was published in May 2019.

ADVANCING TO THE 31ST ANNUAL HONDA CAMPUS ALL STAR CHALLENGE

Kentucky State University was honored to compete in the 31st annual Honda Campus All Star Challenge which is a national qualifying tournament and will be held at Morehouse College in Atlanta, GA on Feb. 8th.

This tournament tests student’s abilities and academic stature about answering tough questions about pop culture, literature, science etc. Not to mention that this is a fast moving buzzer competition.

Kentucky State University is competing for institutional grants, not to mention that KSU is one of 65 schools to be entered into the competition. Including that the HCASC National Championship Tournament held in Torrance, California on March 28-April 1, 2020 at the American Honda campus, is something KSU is competing for as well.

Honda Campus All-Star Challenge is a program year round and focuses on academic excellence, networking, and community service. It includes campus engagement, additional tournaments, and then will reach a finale with the national championship.

Help Kentucky State University and vote at bit.ly/HBCUWinner2020 from Jan. 29-Feb. 10. Voting up to three times a day will help Kentucky State be eligible for the national championship.

GREEN AND GOLD DAY AT THE CAPITOL

Student, staff, administrators, faculty and more from Kentucky State University filled the Capitol for Green and Gold Day. State government employees and legislators were wearing green and gold attire and the Kentucky State representatives were provided with lunch.

Before this event, there was a campus Bred Talk hosted by President M. Christopher Brown II.

President Brown encouraged Bred Talk attendants to ask legislators about encouraging the support for a new campus housing.

Sophomore, Chelsey Robinson from Cleveland, Ohio, said it’s important for Kentucky State to build new campus housing to provide students a place that feels like home and to live comfortably.

Kentucky State Alumna, Dr. Margaret Davis said,” “This performance-based funding can undermine everything that’s been going on in the past few years that has really enabled Kentucky State to thrive,” Davis said. “We need to be sensitive to the needs of the universities. This doesn’t only impact Kentucky State, but the other regional universities in the state. We do really need to take a second look at this.”

A handful of Kentucky State University alumnus have come together and have gave their support at the Green and Gold Day at the Capitol. They felt if it was only a few of them then the legislators at the capitol wouldn’t think they would have really cared. But because a decent amount of people came, the legislators of the Capitol can see and tell that people are supporting Kentucky State University.