Kentucky State Makes National News Amid Bomb Threat

Ma’Rico Holland II, Editor

FRANKFORT Ky.- Black History Month, the month dedicated to celebrating black excellence throughout our history in the United States of America. BHM has always been met with silent criticism from racists who were afraid to speak out on the month meant to celebrate us. It’s 2022 though, so the norms have shifted, and people aren’t afraid in the slightest. Feb. 1st marked the first day of Black History Month and around the nation HBCU students were met with emergency messages alerting them to bomb threats made upon their respective schools. Kentucky State was included along with schools like Clark, Howard, and Grambling State University in the bomb threats. KSU made national news in a heartbeat as outlets like NBC News, The Shade Room, and CNN all were covering the subject. Bomb threats were made, in total, to 20 different HBCU’s.

Fortunately, the situation around the country seemed to lead to false alarms and students have been able to resume classes. However, this isn’t an act that has gone unnoticed as students are calling for more measures to be made to better protect them from overtly racist actions in the future. The message HBCU’s have been making across the country is that they are not deterred and will continue to pursue black excellence in education.

This attempt to derail the beginning of BHM just sheds light on the state of America right now. We are in one of the most racially divisive periods in U.S history.  Police brutality is at one of its highest points despite public outcry. Leaders in the entertainment industry are making national news for using racially insensitive language. On top of all that, African Americans are consistently having the standards pushed to new limits to be accepted. These standards apply socially in how African Americans must present themselves. These standards apply to their resume and the length of experience to be considered for the same positions. Even sadder, the standards apply to our appearance, our hair, our stature, our clothing, etc.

Despite those things, one thing that has always stayed true about black America is the determination to push on. I want to almost thank the people who sent in those bomb threats. These threats have only solidified the need for Black History Month’s existence. African Americans are proud to be able to band together on a united front to fight against overt and covert racism plaguing the country.