A Fresh Start for the Board of Regents

Ma’Rico Holland II, Editor

FRANKFORT, Ky.- Yesterday, Gov. Andy Beshear appointed eight members to the Kentucky State University Board of Regents. Members include a former Kentucky governor, a former state auditor and other leaders with vast financial oversight and audit skills, as well as government and education experience.

According to the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, the former board lacked “efficiency” and “effectiveness” in running operations at the university. This prompted an investigation into the Board of Regents by the council of Post-Secondary Education. This newly constructed board will give a clean slate of administrative oversight for the university. However, this new board will be under a microscope by the council of Post-Secondary Education due to the tarnished reputation left by the previous board.

The following below are the newly appointed members of the board.

Charles Moyer: A professor and former dean at the University of Louisville College of Business. Moyer has taught finance and business courses for decades at several higher education institutions. He is a graduate of Howard University and shall serve for a term expiring June 30, 2027.

Tammi Dukes: Vice president of global sustainability at Adient. Dukes has spent decades of her professional career providing finance and auditing services to clients in the private sector. She is a KSU graduate and shall serve for a term expiring June 30, 2027.

Ernie Fletcher: Former Republican Governor of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. As Governor, he oversaw the management and budget of the Executive Branch. Fletcher is also a physician at the Fletcher Group, Inc. He shall serve for a term expiring June 30, 2023.

Edward Hatchet: A former Democratic state auditor who served from 1995–2003. Hatchett oversaw the auditing of accounts and financial transactions of all spending agencies of the commonwealth. He shall serve for a term expiring June 30, 2025.

Michael Adams Jr.: A Vice president, commercial loan officer at Independence Bank and a managing member of Urban Industries LLC. Adams has commercial banking experience as well as a background in business management. He is a KSU alum and shall serve for a term expiring June 30, 2024.

Gerald Patton: A retired higher education executive with experience working for multiple accreditation associations. Before retiring, Patton was director of assessment and educational effectiveness at California State University. He is a KSU graduate and shall serve for a term expiring June 30, 2022.

Jason Moseley: Head basketball coach at Frederick Douglas High School and KSU alum. He shall serve for a term expiring June 30, 2026.

Robert Ramsey: Served as an Executive Branch cabinet secretary during the Fletcher administration and is now retired. He is a graduate of Florida A&M and shall serve for a term expiring June 30, 2022.